The beautiful 1938 bungalow located in the historic north end of Tacoma, Washington, was originally built as the first spec home in the area. Before the remodel, the kitchen had been divided up into a long hallway that led nowhere, a small kitchen with outdated appliances, and a useless telephone area that may have at one time housed a small bathroom. The space had 1970’s stark white ceramic floor tile divided by black grout, and was a chore to keep clean. Grade school age twin boys and a constant flow of their friends made upkeep a nightmare for the owner.
The client asked for a small seating area with room for guests and their glasses of wine, better storage, a fresh color palette, and bar height seating for family gatherings. New lighting was imperative. The space was gutted, and the changes began.
The original set of upper cabinets that divided the kitchen from the long hallway was removed. Additional counter surfaces with storage above and below now provide buffet serving space for dinner crowds in one corner of the room. A special area near the range was created for storage of serving items and cookbooks. Further storage was created beneath a special built-in seating unit where guests can perch and talk with the creative cooks.
Gray metallic tile was used as infill behind the commercial gas range, and a selection of other Pratt & Larson tiles compliment the blue pearl slab granite on the cooking peninsula. A farm sink and gorgeous copper water controls along with small amounts of bead board surfaces add to the total feel of the home’s overall historic charm.